Chapter Meeting Minutes

April 1, 2013 (Postponed From March 25)

Meeting Minutes: EAA Chapter 196: General Membership Meeting: April 1, 2013

  1. A General Membership Meeting of EAA Chapter 196 was held at Noble Airventures at MinuteMan Airfield on April 1, 2013.
  2. 12 members and guests were in attendance. They were:
    • Hector Constantzos
    • Mark Saklad
    • Sherry Grobstein
    • Jim Ellis
    • Andy Goldstein
    • Greg Sheets
    • Bob Glorioso
    • Nels Anderson
    • Paul Young
    • Charlotte Richardson
    • Mike Smith
    • Dave Noble
  3. Chapter President Hector Constantzos opened the business meeting with discussions of the May 18 Fly-In Day. He noted that we have only 6-7 weeks to plan and coordinate the event. He said that planning for advertising and logistics is essential to a properly run event.
    • Food and materials needed for grilling need to be replenished. We need to "start fresh". Mark Saklad agreed to inventory the remaining items such as paper plates, utensils, etc.
    • There was a question of how much food to buy for the event. Myricks was used as an example of a similar event. EAA 196 Treasurer Sherry Grobstein said that the Chapter took in $522 at Myricks last year. This translates to approximately 100 people served. It was agreed that we will acquire food and supplies for 150 for the Fly-In Day.
    • There is a need for a Chapter member to become a licensed and trained food handler to replace Clyde Kessel. This requires online ServeSafe training. Mr. Constantzos took an Action Item to get the ServeSafe certification.
    • Greg Sheets said that Nancy's pizza oven should be operating by May. He took an Action Item to check into this.
    • Advertising. For the event to be successful, it will need to be widely advertised, and quickly. Andy Goldstein took an Action Item to advertise the event on various aviation web sites that have event calendars. A paragraph should be e-mailed to Don McPherson for inclusion in his May "NOTAM". Nels Anderson said he will create a "Fly-In.htm" for the EAA 196 web site. Jim Ellis agreed to submit event notification to the Atlantic Flyer.
    • The question came up where planes flying in will park. It was suggested that the best place would be the grass/gravel runway. Mr. Constantzos will talk to Don McPherson about shutting down the runway for aircraft parking during the event.
    • It was agreed the event would run from 10 am to 2 pm, similar to the times for Myricks.
    • It will be on the same day that the EAA has scheduled for "International Learn to Fly Day", so planning will need to include "International Learn to Fly Day" activities. It was suggested that the senior Eagles program be advertised, but that no actual Eagles flying be done during the event. Names would be taken for later Eagles flights.
    • Dave Noble said he will set up a Noble AirVentures booth, and may do discounted Discovery Flights.
  4. Andy Goldstein, EAA 196 Young Eagles Coordinator, noted that Saturday April 13th is the first scheduled Young Eagles day for 2013. He also noted that in May, on May 11, over 30 kids are already scheduled to be coming for Young Eagles flights.
  5. The next subject discussed was what support EAA 196 will provide to the planned Thursday evening Cruise Nights. Mr. Goldstein said he has told Mr. McPherson that EAA 196 is "too thin" to provide security for the weekly summer events.
    • Greg Sheets said the chapter should decide if it wants to support one week a month at the events. He said that if we do, we should define what we are willing to do, and not leave it open ended by asking Mr. McPherson and the Rotary Club event organizers what they need.
    • Marshaling fly-in airplanes and directing them to parking is one likely area of support the chapter could provide. Bob Glorioso said that two people should be enough to marshal airplanes.
    • Mr. Constantzos said we should define what we want to do to participate as a Chapter, and what we should do to advertise EAA 196 at the events. One possibility is to share a table with Dave Noble and his Noble AirVentures, which Dave Noble was agreeable with. Greg Sheets said we should use the opportunity to advertise Young Eagles. Jim Ellis added that the senior Eagles program should be advertised as well.
    • Nels Anderson said that it is likely that he will be participating by bringing one of his cars more than once a month.
  6. Greg Sheets noted that the MinuteMan Open House is scheduled for July 13th, and that the Chapter also needs to prepare for supporting that event. He said that Don McPherson is planning to emphasize local businesses rather than aviation interests in the hangar this year. McPherson is inviting a lot of local businesses to set up table in the hangar, and is looking to draw in people from the Acton-Boxboro-Stow area.
    • The typical event in the past has drawn in 120 people. McPherson is aiming this year for 300-500.
    • The airport will start advertising in mid-May.
    • EAA 196 is expected to sell burgers. Mr. Sheets said that the pizza oven will also be operating then.
    • The airport will be in the Cruise Night configuration for the Open House, and it will likely just be left that way from the preceding Thursday Cruise Night.
    • It was also noted that July 13th is the Young Eagles day for July.
    • It will also be a fly-in. Mr. Sheets said that the airport is hoping to attract some unusual aircraft. (The Collings aircraft were mentioned, possibly partially in humor, although the Collings Stearman has been at prior Open House events selling rides.) Crow Island ultralights were also mentioned, as well as Mike Smith and his Sonex project.
  7. Mike Smith, who is building a Sonex at his house in Maynard, said that he is looking for shared hangar space during the Spring and Summer months to complete assembly of his aircraft and to begin initial flights.
  8. Dave Noble was the guest speaker for the evening. His topic was the legalities of using iPads and other tablets in the cockpit.
    • He said that the FAA has approved the iPad for use as an Electronic Flight Bag for some airlines.
    • The EFB function is primarily for charts, plates, etc. FAA regulations appear to rule out use of moving map displays showing where your aircraft is on the map or chart for IFR flight.
    • The primary FAA guidance is that the iPads or tablets must not interfere with onboard navigation or communication equipment. The general guidance is "As long as you can prove it is safe you can use it."
    • FAR 91.21.1b says that a PIC can make a determination and self-certify.
    • Noble recommended that any pilot intending to use the iPad or tablet during IFR flights take a safety pilot and shoot approaches using the iPad or tablet; log in somewhere that this was done; and keep the iPad or tablet on automatic updates.
    • The FCC has an (absurd) rule that says that anything that transmits or receives cannot be used on an airplane. This would mean that no one could even use a GPS! Oddly enough, they have sent guidance to the FAA recommending that airline passengers be more widely allowed to use electronic devices (possibly even including cellphones) on the planes.

November 7, 2011 (Postponed From October 31)

Meeting Minutes: EAA Chapter 196: Annual Meeting: November 7, 2011

  1. 9 members (including new members) were in attendance. They were:
    • Clyde Kessel
    • Mark Saklad
    • Sherry Grobstein
    • Jim Ellis
    • Andy Goldstein
    • Charlotte Richardson
    • Don McPherson
    • Paul Young
    • Nels Anderson
  2. The meeting was the yearly Annual Meeting to include the election of officers up for election, which included the Vice President and the Treasurer. Mark Saklad agreed to continue serving as Vice President, and Sherry Grobstein agreed to continue serving as Treasurer. They were nominated and elected unanimously.
  3. The requirement to send in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Annual Report form was discussed. The form is due on November 1 of each year, but due to the October 29 snowstorm and following long duration power outages which delayed the Chapter 196 Annual Meeting from October 31 to November 7, the submittal of the form will be delayed. Former Secretary Nels Anderson showed present Secretary Jim Ellis where blank forms as well as copies of previously submitted forms were located in the chapter briefcase. Treasurer Sherry Grobstein wrote out the check for the required $15 filing fee. (NOTE: Jim Ellis filled out, signed, and mailed in the form with the check on Tuesday November 8.)
  4. The menu choices for the December 3 Holiday Party were discussed and selections made.
  5. Andy Goldstein, Young Eagles Coordinator, noted that the Chapter had flown its 2500th Young Eagle during the October 2011 Young Eagles rally. He also noted that the final Young Eagles rally for 2011 is scheduled for November 12. It was also noted that Nels Anderson is nearing his 500th Young Eagle flown. It was agreed that when Mr. Anderson flies his 500th Young Eagle that the Chapter should publicize the accomplishments in local papers and if possible, the EAA Sport Aviation magazine.
  6. It was agreed that the 2011 Myricks event was poorly planned and publicized, with the date not finalized until less than a month before the event. The result was a poor return on the sale of hamburgers, among other things, resulting in a lack of income for the year. Sunday September 16 was agreed upon for the date of the 2012 Myricks event, and coordination and publicity will be taken care of much earlier in 2012.
  7. Treasurer Sherry Grobstein provided a Treasurer's report.

September 26, 2011

EAA 196 Meeting: Sept. 26, 2011

  1. Clyde Kessel called an impromptu EAA Chapter 196 business meeting during the EAA Chapter 196 meeting/cookout on Sept. 26, 1022.
  2. Sherry Grobstein, Treasurer, reported that the hamburger and hot dog sales at the MinuteMan Open House and the Myricks Fly-in only resulted in a profit of approximately $50 after deducting cost of supplies. She reported that the chapter still has over $4000 in its bank accounts.
    1. There is also an open item regarding reimbursement from MinuteMan Airport to the Chapter for free hamburgers and hot dogs provided to workers and those displaying aircraft and other items during the MinuteMan Open House. Don McPherson said he is waiting to receive a figure from the Chapter.
  3. The Holiday Party was discussed. Prior Holiday parties have provided meals and wine for Chapter members in good standing and a guests/spouses out of Chapter funds. Options were to continue this practice; to provide for only a single person with any guests/spouses having to pay their own way; or for all participants to pay for their meals and wine. Jim Ellis spoke out strongly in favor of maintaining having the Chapter continue to pay for members in good standing plus a guest/spouse. Clyde Kessel said that a policy should be in place that any non-members wanting to attend (there have been inquiries in the past) should pay in full the cost per person as received from Nancy McPherson. A vote was taken and the overwhelming majority agreed to have the Chapter fund the Holiday party for members in good standing plus one guest/spouse, with any other attendees paying for their own meals per Clyde's discussion.
  4. Myricks. There was a discussion of why there was a relatively low turnout and poor hamburger/hot dog sales at Myricks. Discussions indicated that outside influences such as the Simsbury Fly-in and an earlier in the day breakfast at Cranland had not been problems in the past and probably were not the problem this year. The problem was likely to have been related to the fact that in the absence of the Chapter President (who was away on a vacation trip), there was no decision made in a timely manner on whether to hold the event and if so, on what date. The final decision to hold the event, despite several earlier inquiries by the airport owner, was not made until late August. The result was that the event was poorly publicized, likely resulting in the reduced attendance. Clyde Kessel recommended that planning for the 2012 Myricks event should begin as early as March of 2012.
  5. Attendees
    Clyde Kessel
    Mark Saklad
    Nels Anderson
    Sherry Grobstein
    Jim Ellis
    Don McPherson
    Richard Dupee
    Andy Goldstein
    Geoff Lull
    Greg Sheets
    Mike Doyle
    Charlotte Richardson
    Paul Young
    Ted Robinson

March 28, 2011

Meeting Minutes: EAA Chapter 196: March 28, 2011

  1. 15 members (including new members) were in attendance. Attendance list is on a separate sheet.
  2. The primary subject for discussion was the upcoming first 2011 Young Eagles rally scheduled for Saturday, April 9. There was a detailed discussion about the operation of the EAA 196 Young Eagles program, primarily for new members.
    1. In response to a question about what is required to fly Young Eagles, Clyde Kessel responded that a pilot had to be a member of both the EAA national organization and EAA Chapter 196, and carry a minimum of $100,000 per passenger liability insurance/$300,000 total liability coverage.
    2. Andy Goldstein described the ground support program.
      1. He sends out e-mails the evening before the event concerning the weather forecasts and the likelihood the event will go on. When the final decision is made on whether to proceed or cancel, Nels Anderson updates the EAA 196 web site.
      2. On the day of the event, parents of prospective Young Eagles fill out the EAA registration form. Pilots who will be taking up the Young Eagles sign the form before proceeding to the airplane.
    3. Andy Goldstein described the 5-step EAA Flight Plan for Young Eagles (found on the Young Eagles web site: www.youngeagles.org). It begins with a Young Eagles flight and proceeds through EAA Student Membership; the Sporty's Flight Training Course (online ground school); the First Flight Lesson; and finally Flight Scholarships. Andy had printed out online pages for each step. It was recommended that he print these out in sufficient numbers to give to all Young Eagles showing an interest in flight training during the Young Eagles rallies. He agreed to do this. It was also agreed that he would be reimbursed for the cost of printing out the sheets from EAA 196 chapter funds.
    4. Andy Goldstein said that the process usually begins with the Young Eagle kids getting to observe a preflight of an aircraft prior to taking a flight.
    5. Flight operations were described. The emphasis is of course on safety. Different pilots mentioned their favorite routes. Jim Ellis noted that there is no set flight pattern as is the chase in other local EAA Young Eagles rallies such as those in Fitchburg and Lawrence. Each pilot is free to choose his or her own route of flight. And of course care should be taken reentering the pattern at MinuteMan following each flight.
    6. Pilots intending to fly at a Young Eagles rally, as well as those available to help out on the ground, should send an e-mail to Andy Goldstein prior to the event letting him know of their availability.
  3. Eli Luria, who operates the new Tenle Aviation flight school at MinuteMan, addressed the meeting. He said that his flight school should dovetail with the Young Eagles program. He said that he intends to be at the Young Eagles events to hand out information sheets and business cards to prospective Young Eagle pilots and their parents. Mark Saklad recommended that Tenle provide an aircraft for preflight demonstrations. Eli Luria said that he might be open to doing this with his personal Cirrus, but that he hoped that on Saturday mornings with good weather that the Tenle Cessna 172s would be booked up and flying.
  4. Clyde Kessel , in remarking about the planned EAA 196 flight scholarship program, said that he felt that the weakest part of the program will be finding kids who are interested enough to complete the Sport's online course and pass the FAA written exam.

    Clyde also noted that the chapter has roughly $500 of EAA money (which he referred to as "funny money") received as a result of last year's Young Eagles flying. The money can only be used for limited purposes in support of the Young Eagles program, including sending interested kids to EAA aviation summer camps at Oshkosh. It may also be possible to use the money for such things as new banners advertising the Young Eagles events.

    Clyde also announced that he and his son are planning a summer-long coast-to-coast bicycle tour of the United States, and that he will leave around the end of April and will not return until early September. He said that the chapter is welcome to continue to have barbecues at his hangar, but someone else will have to do the planning and coordination for the summer meetings. For the benefit of new members (and some old ones) he noted that the barbecues are "pot luck", with the Chapter providing hamburgers, hot dogs, rolls, and soft drinks, but that members attending are expected to provide items like salads, desserts, etc.

    Regarding food prepared and sold at events like the MinuteMan Open House and Myricks, Clyde also said "Let's not sell food beyond the expiration date (anymore)".
  5. There was a discussion of who should be allowed to have membership in the EAA 196 Yahoo group, based on a request which Clyde Kessel had received earlier in March from an unknown individual. Clyde said that he had sent an e-mail to the individual asking what his interest in aviation and/or Chapter 196 was, but that he received no response and has not heard from the individual since then.

    Lee Cooprider recommended that EAA 196 Yahoo membership be open to anyone expressing an interest. He said we should "make ourselves available to anyone in the community".

    Mark Saklad cautioned that if the Yahoo group is open to a wider community, those already participating should be more circumspect and less casual in some of the things they say in their e-mails.

  6. The EAA national organization is recommending that the Learn to Fly Day scheduled for May 21, 2011 include free flights for interested adults. Rich Dupree was opposed to the idea, saying he would not participate, while Lee Cooprider and Jim Ellis said they would participate. Eli Luria said that he is not bothered by the idea, saying his introductory flights are a money losing proposition anyway. He said he would plan to attend to distribute his flight school literature to adults expressing an interest in flying that day.

    There was also a discussion of using a banner hung across the road in either West Concord or Stow (or both) advertising the Learn to Fly Day and/or Young Eagles events. The question came up of what the policy is in nearby towns for putting up such banners. Nels Anderson said that Don McPherson should be consulted as he knows many of the Stow officials. Eli Luria said that his business would be interested in providing the banners and would consider a slightly reduced price if the chapter decides to do it. Lee Cooprider agreed to follow up on researching it by e-mail.


January 31, 2011

Meeting Minutes: EAA Chapter 196: January 31, 2011.

  1. 12 members were in attendance. Attendance list is on a separate sheet.
  2. Annual dues were collected from several members who had not already paid.
  3. The primary subject for discussion was the proposed EAA Chapter 196 Flight Training Scholarship Program.
  4. The first topic discussed was whether there should be an age limit on the scholarships.
    1. Jim Ellis noted that the EAA "Young Eagles Flight Plan" program, which the scholarships are to complement, is open to anyone ages 13-19.
    2. Clyde Kessel recommended a minimum age of 15.
    3. Bill Greenberg said that youths of 14 could solo a glider. Mr. Ellis said that he preferred that the scholarships be limited to powered fixed wing aircraft. In a discussion of whether the $500 would go farther if used for glider training, Charlotte Richardson said that with gliders, you generally pay for the cost of the tow but not for the instructor.
    4. Lee Cooprider recommended that we go with a lower age limit of 15, but allow for waivers for special cases. That recommendation was accepted.
  5. The next topic was whether an essay should be required.
    1. Sherry Grobstein said that passing the FAA Written test should be sufficient.
    2. Jim Ellis spoke in favor of the essay, saying we should have a idea why the applicant wanted to take flying lessons and what their motivation was other than wanting the $500.
    3. Paul Young said he did not like to write essays. Ms. Grobstein agreed, saying that she would not write an essay, even for $500.
    4. Lee Cooprider suggested that the main point should be that the candidate should be able to communicate their desire to fly. He said that this could either be by essay or by an interview. The interview could be with an EAA CH 196 committee, or it could be with a volunteer designated mentor pilot.
    5. Clyde Kessel said there could be a "Meet the Mentor" session in place of a formal interview. He asked if a mentor should be assigned or designated as soon as a scholarship application was received.
    6. Speaking in favor of interviews, Mark Saklad said that the Aero Club of New England (ACONE) had found some surprises during interviews for their aviation scholarship programs. One example was finding out that one young man had 60 hours of flight training while he did not even have his automobile driver's license.
  6. Bill Greenberg asked if we should request or require that scholarship recipients join EAA CH 196 and/or assist with Young Eagles and other EAA CH 196 events.
    1. Clyde Kessel said that we could invite them to assist at EAA CH 196 events.
    2. Jim Ellis noted that ACONE did request their scholarship recipients to work and assist at their events.
    3. Additional discussions noted that anyone really interested in aviation should be interested in participating in EAA CH 196 and other aviation related events and to be around pilots.
  7. There was a discussion of how to provide more income for the scholarship program.
    1. Clyde Kessel suggested pulling out the grill and cooking (and selling) hamburgers and hot dogs at Young Eagles events. Jim Ellis pointed out that this could put us in competition with Nancy's, and negate much of the good will with Nancy.
    2. A donation box was suggested. Mark Saklad said that EAA National may ban donations, as it might look like we were asking for payment of the Young Eagles flights. He said that it may be OK to ask for donations for the chapter rather than anything that looked like donations for the participating pilots.
    3. Clyde Kessel suggested a donation box marked as being for the scholarship program.
  8. There was a question of what we would do if someone applied for the scholarship who had already passed the FAA Written but who had not taken the EAA ground school course.
    1. Jim Ellis said he was opposed to allowing this, saying that we are an EAA organization and should stick to and support the EAA program.
    2. Mark Saklad said we should "keep it simple". Jim Ellis, who had drafted the initial EAA Chapter 196 Flight Training Scholarship program paper, said that the best way to keep it simple as to keep our program aligned with the EAA "Young Eagles Flight Plan" program.
  9. The final subject for discussion was whether to direct the scholarships to the new flight school at MinuteMan Airfield, TENLE Aviation.
    1. Lee Cooprider recommended providing information on all of the flight schools in the area to scholarship winners. He said that other airports in the area might be more convenient for winners who did not live as close to MinuteMan.
    2. Jim Ellis said that he recommended that we approach TENLE and see if they are willing to provide a discount to scholarship winners which would make the scholarship more valuable. He said that it would look better if EAA CH 196 was supporting MinuteMan Airfield operations. Others noted that if other flight schools had lower prices than TENLE, the money might go farther there.
    3. Clyde Kessel and Sherry Grobstein said that the money should be given directly to the flight school, not to the scholarship winner. The scholarship winner should tell us what flight school they intend to us it at, and EAA CH 196 representatives should check out the flight school program to assure it is acceptable.
  10. It was agreed that the scholarship money should be used within 12 months of it being awarded. (It was felt that if a recipient did not take the lessons in that time that they probably were not sufficiently motivated or interested.
  11. Clyde Kessel, EAA CH 196 President, asked for a vote on the Scholarship Program. The program passed unanimously.

December 3, 2010

Our official annual meeting (delayed) was opened at 8:15 pm with 13 members in attendance.

Elections of officers were held, with the following people taking office:

President: Clyde Kessel (through 2012)
Vice President: Mark Saklad (through 2011)
Treasurer: Sherry Grobstein (through 2011)
Secretary: Jim Ellis (through 2012)

The meeting was closed at 8:16 pm.


February 22, 2010

The meeting was opened at 7:08 pm by President Bill Greenberg with 24 people in attendence.

A reminder that 2010 dues are due.

Bill Greenberg offered an introduction to the chapters and its activities to the visitors.

Don McPherson reported that the problems with the HYA terminal construction may mean that funds are available for other projects, including those at 6B6.

Meeting closed at 7:13 followed by a talk on flying into Canada by Clyde Kessel.


January 26, 2010

The meeting was opened at 7:10 pm by President Bill Greenberg with 11 people in attendence.

Local pilot Jeff Simon is running for EAA national board; a petition supporting his campaign was passed around for interested members to sign.

The annual Alton Bay fly-in was discussed. Don McPherson discussed some airport news and reported record fuel sales in 2009, helping to hold gas prices down. He also reported that the FAA still needs to inspect the newly installed PAPI.


October 26, 2009

Prior to the business meeting, airport manager Don McPherson set up and demonstrated the new PAPI that the chapter helped purchase. Don thanked the group again for their generous donation and announced that a dedication ceremony will be held in a few weeks after it is all installed and functioning properly.

Meeting opened at 7:30 p.m. with nine present.

The treasurer's report was given. Since the last meeting we've signed up four new members, spent $3400 to help pay for the new PAPI, and had income from the July open house and Myricks fly-in.

VP Mark Saklad reported that the "Climb Straight Out" signs we had ordered came in...but with the wrong elevation printed on them. Signs have been returned to Sporty's for correction.

Annual elections were held, with the following elected:

Mark Saklad, Vice President
Clyde Kessel, Treasurer
Mike Doyle, Director
Hector Constantzos, Director

It was decided to scan the bylaws and make them available to all members for discussion at the January meeting.

A date for the holiday party was discussed, with the first two weekends in December being put up for a poll.

A Young Eagles rally was held in October, but with poor weather only two new kids and three repeat kids were flown. The last rally of the year will be held in November.

A discussion was held on uses for the treasury. Ideas included:

Build a plane - Pietenpol?
Scholarship
Improved windsock

Meeting closed at 8:55 p.m.


June 29, 2009

Opened at 7:20 p.m. by Hector Constantzos filling in for president Bill Greenberg who was away on vacation. 14 present.

Young Eagles report: we flew 35 kids in June.

The treasurer's report was given.

Bob Glorioso spoke on monitoring 121.5. Since the satellites no longer listen there, Bob encouraged each individual pilot to monitor the frequency and offered to supply suitable antennas for home use with scanners or similar radios.

Bob Glorioso spoke on the proposal to get a PAPI for the airport and the advantages of having one. $8000 is needed and $600 has been raised so far. Airport manager Don McPherson announced that he would purchase it once half the cost was raised. After discussion it was proposed that the chapter donate $3400; voted on and passed.

A 40th anniversary open house is planned for Minute Man Air Field on July 11. Don McPherson described the planned events for the day. In addition to that being our normal Young Eagles rally day we will be serving hamburgs and hotdogs.

Our annual fall Myricks fly-in was discussed. Despite some drawbacks, September 20 from 10:30 to 3:00 was agreed on. A flyer will be prepared and members will be asked to help distribute it to other airports.

With several new people attendance, everyone present introduced themself.

Meeting closed at 8:28 p.m.


March 30, 2009

Opened at 7:22 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 12 present.

A reminder about our first Young Eagles rally coming up in April.

Don has a new windsock for the airport and would like some help putting it up.

The treasurer's report was given.

A discussion on fly out destinations was held. Some ideas were:
Restaurant guide
DVD Flying the Hudson River Corridor
Revive the club's online destination database
funplacestofly.com

Meeting closed at 8:30 p.m.


February 23, 2009

Opened at 7:18 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg.

A reminder that Young Eagles rallies start in April.

A reminder about Marlboro chapter meetings and events; Dudley Darling from Marlboro presented some of their chapter activities.

A discussion of chapter activities and speakers.

Jim Ellis reports favorably on the new instructor on the field.

Since 121.5 satellite monitoring is being shut down, discussed new ELT requirements.

Meeting closed at 8:10 p.m.


October 27, 2008

Opened at 7:40 p.m. by secretary Nels Anderson.

The treasurer's report was given.

October is the month for annual elections; all current officers re-elected.

Holiday party is coming up; we need to make arrangements with the restaurant.


April 28, 2008

Opened at 7:18 p.m. by Hector Constantzos.

Several new members made their introductions.

Next regular Young Eagles rally is May 7; a special rally is planned for June 7 for a Boy Scouts group.

Discussion of scholarship to Air Academy.

Don reports the first dinner fly out was successful; these will be held every Wednesday.

Don also reports that progress has been made on obstruction lights on conservation land and that tree clearing continues.

Meeting closed at 8:08 p.m.


February 25, 2008

Opened at 7:10 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 14 present.

Bill Greenberg handed out some Airport Watch info.

The question was raised on how to renew your airport ID badge. The answer is to go to the MAC web site and fill out a form.

Airport manager Don McPherson gave a report starting with snow plowing. Tree cutting may start this week, weather permitting. Sumps around the new windsock have been removed. The March airport NOTAM will include dinner fly outs. A finders fee is offered for new business brought into the airport.

John Murray is a flight instructor who will now be operating from 6B6. He gave an introduction about himself, including his extensive background and ability to instruct for most ratings; he specializes in the instrument rating and has worked for PIC. He can be contacted at [email protected]

FAA safety seminars will be held at 6B6 again in the coming months.

Also a reminder was given about the upcoming New England Aviation Expo.

The meeting was closed at 7:45 p.m.


January 28, 2008

Opened at 7:12 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 14 present.

It was discussed whether we should continue to try and hold Young Eagle winter events. The decision was to restart in April with our normal morning rallies. During winter, if necessary, one on one flights can be set up with individual pilots.

The treasurer's report was given.

Speakers are needed for the coming year. Several suggestions were made by the members.

A discussing on visiting Alton Bay was held, but it was not sure if the runway was open.

We momentarily dimmed the lights to behold the new lighted windsock across the darkened runway.

Don McPherson gave us an annual report on the airport, including upgrades such as proposed new tee hangars, tree cutting and the ongoing situation with Boxboro.

The meeting closed at 8:08 p.m.


October 29, 2007

Opened at 7:37 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg.

A continuation of the discusssion on obtaining noise abatement signs was held. It was decided that the chapter would purchase signs and installation materials. Mark Saklad will investigate what is available from Sporty's or other sources.

Our last Young Eagles rallys was rained out. This coming Saturday, November 3, we have a special rally scheduled for the Pacific Rim charter school.

The year for the first time we apparently will have to do a tax filing. Bill Greenberg will compile our chapter information and contact an accountant.

The treasurer's report was given, including results from Myricks and from the Collings Living History weekend.

A discussion was held on where to hold the holiday part. It was decided to have it at the airport again and Bill Greenberg which check with Nancy for a good date during early December.

After a discussion of winter Young Eagles rallies it was decided that from December through March the rallies would be held in the afternoon, from noon until 3:00, in the hopes of less frost on the planes and generally warmer weather.

A discussion was held on how to use some of the money we've earned from our cooking events this summer:

a) Support the new Mass. Aviation Society museum being organized at Hanscom. A $500 donation was approved.
b) Scholarship: several ideas were raised but the idea was table for now.
c) Additional items to give the kids after completion of their Young Eagles flights. Ideas include lapel wings, lanyards and keychains. Mark Saklad will investigate what is available

This being the annual meeting, officer elections were scheduled. With no new candidates for office the current officers were returned by acclamation.

The meeting closed at 8:33 p.m.


September 24, 2007

The meeting was opened at 7:15 p.m. by Hector Constantzos, filling in since he was organizing the events being discussed.

The primary focus of the meeting was organizing the Collings Foundation Living History Open House even on October 6 and 7 where we will be running the grills. Mike Doyle agreed to do the shopping and will be getting a additional new grill, a new tent with a smoke vent on top and a fire extinguisher.

We also discussed two special Young Eagles events being planned. On October 20 we will host a boy scout group and on November 3 students from a charter school. We will also hold our usual second Saturday rallies each of these months. Mark Saklad will apply for the EAA insurance for the special rallies.


June 25, 2007

The meeting was opened at around 7:00 p.m. by President Bill Greenberg.

Treasurer Mike Doyle gave a report on our income from cooking at the Collings Foundation open house. In addition, we agreed to give a $350 donation to Collings from out cooking proceeds.

Don McPherson mentioned that he would like to install a new windsock and segmented circle on newly cleared land on the far side of the runway and would like some help. A planning meeting will be held on July 9 for this purpose.

Don McPherson asked that a group of pilots attend a Boxboro selectmen's meeting to present the pilot's point of view in regards to the need to clear trees from the runway approach for safety reasons.

It was suggested that we research what it would take to get a GPS overlay approach into 6B6 and then start writing letters as needed to get the approach approved.

Mike Doyle suggested that we support the new aviation museum proposed from Hanscom through a financial donation.

It's time to start planning for our annual Myrick fly-in. September 16 was chosen as the best date and we'll now confirm that it is available.

The meeting closed around 7:30 p.m.


April 30, 2007

The meeting was opened at 7:09 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 13 members present.

The members were asked how well the Yahoo group mailer was working for them. All reported OK.

We have two Young Eagles rallies this month, our usual second Saturday plus a special one at BVY.

The meeting was closed at 7:16 p.m.


February 26, 2007

The meeting was opened at 7:25 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 10 members present.

A reminder was given about the March Young Eagles rallies.

A length discussion was held on contributing to scholarship programs. Should we join an existing program? Sponsor one of our Young Eagles? Support the Mass. Aviation Museum? Jim Ellis volunteered to organize a proposal.

The meeting closed at 7:45 p.m.


January 29, 2007

The meeting was opened at 7:20 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 10 members present.

A discussion was held on our meeting schedule for the upcoming year along with possible meeting topics.

It was announced that Young Eagles rallies will be held in the afternoon through March to allow for warmer temperatures. We have also scheduled an extra rally on March 17, starting at 11:00 a.m.

The meeting was closed at 7:30 p.m.


October 27, 2006

The meeting was opened at 7:08 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg.

Elections are scheduled for this month, with president and secretary due for election this year. With no nominations from the floor, Bill Greenberg and Nels Anderson agreed to serve another term.

A proposal to support the Hale Aviation Club (middle school in Stow) was given, and a $300 sponsorship was approved.

The meeting closed at 7:13 p.m.


February 23, 2006

The meeting was opened at 7:13 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 11 members present.

A discussion was opened on future chapter activities.

It was announced an FAA speaker will be at 6B6 on March 9 at the cafe, sponsored by the airport. The FAA "SPANS" program sends out email notices of such seminars.

This lead to a discussion of whether we should host quarterly FAA seminars instead of that month's meeting.

Other speaker ideas were raised, including A&P Bob Booth, Executive Flyers, Ken Roy's bomber pilot friend, light sport plane rep (from Crow Island).

MIT roadable airplane designers are to speak in May at Daniel Webster College.

Should we purchase a new wind sock? Pat Howe will contact MAC first to see if they will do it. If not, it was agree to buy one up to a $200 limit.

Fly-out ideas? Rhinebeck was suggested. Timing would be the Saturday after our meetings, with Sunday as the rain date.

Question was raised to give Betty Lee Ward a lifetime membership. Voted and approved.

A reminder about the New England Aviation Expo, April 22, at Daniel Webster College.

A reminder that the chapter weather station has been installed, but we need a sign to go with it.

Collings Foundation open house is June 17 and 18. We expect to be cooking food again this year.

Myricks date is still to be determined.

Membership drive ideas: how about offering 1/2 price for student pilots.

Meeting closed at 8:19 p.m.


May 27, 2005

The meeting was opened at 7:17 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg.

Treasurer's report: 26 paid up members, $3385.16 in bank.

Discussed purchasing a weather station. Voted and agreed to spend up to $500 for station as proposed.

Bill Greenberg demonstrated an online flying destinations database.

Collings Foundation open house is June 17 and 18. We will be doing concessions. Discussed details.

Meeting closed at 7:45 p.m.


January 28, 2005

The meeting was opened at 7:27 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 12 present.

Don McPherson announced that the FAA has agreed to repave the runway, but at a length of 2400 feet by 60 feet wide. He asked for discussion on whether the shorter length would cause problems but no one present had a problem with the 2400 foot length.

Mike Doyle presented the acting treasurer's report.

A discussion was held on whether the chapter should subsidize meal expenses at board of director meetings, or where else we should spend our growing treasury. Subsidizing the BOD meeting was not approved but one new idea of a scholarship program was suggested and Fred Moses will lead a committee to investigate.

The meeting closed at 8:05 p.m.


October 29, 2004

The official annual meeting was opened at 7:20 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 14 present.

The Young Eagles report was given. We had 39 kids for our October rally, the best turnout in 2004.

The treasurer's report was given including reports on income from the cookouts at Myricks and Collings.

This being the annual meeting, elections are to be held. The offices of president and secretary are up for election this year. With no new candidates, current president and secretary Bill Greenberg and Nels Anderson agreed to continue serving. Treasurer Jon Engvall will be away for the next few months and so past treasurer Mike Doyle agreed to fill in during that period.

A reminder that the next meeting is November 19 in order to avoid the Thanksgiving holiday.

The annual holiday party is planned for the first Friday in December, pending confirmation that the restaurant is available.

The meeting closed at 7:35 p.m.


May 28, 2004

The meeting was opened at 7:12 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 16 present.

The treasurer's report was given. The major expense for the month was a new tent for Young Eagles rallies and other events costing $119.

Young Eagles events were discussed. June 12 is national Young Eagle day and is also our usual monthly rally date. Our last rally was featured in a full page plus article in the Worcester Telegram that appeared in the May 28th edition. We've been contacted by a group that would like to fly on a non-rally day; this was discussed.

An update on Murray Randall was received and he's now doing quite well.

On June 19-20 the Collings Foundation is holding its annual open house and it was suggested that we run the food concession as a fund raiser. Mike Doyle was chosen to coordinate.

It was announced that the July meeting will be a picnic held at the Collings Foundation.

The meeting was closed at 7:27 p.m.


April 30, 2004

The meeting was opened at 7:16 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 13 present.

With several new faces in the crowd, we had everyone introduce themselves.

The treasurer's report was given.

A discussion of the upcoming Young Eagles rally was held. For May we have one group of 15 signed up and about 5 others who have called asking for information. The Worcester Telegram newspaper is planning on covering the event.

A discussion about Murray Randall and our fall fly-in was held. Not much information is known.

The meeting was closed at 7:31 p.m.


February 27, 2004

The meeting was opened at 7:15 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 14 present.

New treasurer Jon Engvall gave his first report. He mentioned that we need each member's national EAA member number and some who signed up recently still need to provide this.

Young Eagles planning for the upcoming year was discussed. New member Ryan Keough volunteered to be our new coordinator.

The topic of sharing a video projector with Chapter 106 was raised again, but we now have the option of borrowing one from one of the members.

A call was put out to help find new meeting speakers.

Bill Greenberg lead a discussion on carbon monoxide detectors. He described a recent experience where a sensitive aviation specific detector spotted a problem early and resulted in a relatively cheap and easy repair. He obtained his information from Avweb.

MAC has sent all airports a notice that the State Police will be conducting a security survey, so we may see State Police, including unmarked cars, around the airport.

The Boxboro airport committee will be holding a meeting at the town hall on March 4 at 7:30 p.m. at which Don McPherson will be presenting information about airport plans.

Mark Saklad requested that members provide him with updated email addresses for the club membership roster.

The meeting was closed at 7:47 p.m.


January 30, 2004

The meeting was opened at 7:20 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 30 members and guests present.

With so many new faces we had everyone introduce themselves. Observers from the local CAP chapter and the Shirley Crowhoppers were on hand.

Outgoing treasurer Mike Doyle gave his final report.

It was decided not to have a Young Eagles rally in February given the streak of poor weather lately. We'll try for our first rally of the year in March.

Mark Saklad who is also a member of Chapter 106 discussed the possibility of our two chapters jointly purchasing a video project for use in meeting presentations. More information is needed.

Alton Bay fly-in is coming up soon, anyone going?

Jim Ellis is looking for new balloon crew members.

Mike Doyle is looking for historical information about the airport in Wayland and other local airports.

The meeting closed at 7:30 p.m.


November 21, 2003

The meeting was opened at 7:21 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 16 present.

The treasurer's report was given. We had no income or expenses this month, but dues are now due for the upcoming year.

A report was given on Young Eagles. The national progam has just passed its goal of one million flights. Locally, our chapter is one of the most active in the state and Bill Greenberg is the #1 pilot in the state for number of Young Eagles missions.

The holiday party will be held at 6:30 p.m. on December 5th at the airport. After discussion it was agreed to do a Yankee swap ($5 to $7 suggested value gift). The club will supply a platter and the remainder will be pot luck.

The meeting was closed at 7:30 p.m.


October 24, 2003

The meeting was opened at 7:20 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 12 members present.

The secretary's report was read.

The treasurer's report was given, including a final tally of income and expenses from the Myricks fly-in.

A report on the October Young Eagle's rally was given; 22 Young Eagles received flights.

Elections were held. Jon Engvall was elected treasurer. Mark Saklad was re-elected vice president.

The meeting was closed at 7:35 p.m.


September 26, 2003

The meeting was opened at 7:00 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 9 members present.

A reminder was made that elections will be held at the next monthly meeting.

Mike Doyle gave the treasurer's report, including details of Myricks expenses and income and also announced that leftover food from Myricks was available for the taking.

John Weigle reported the results of the multi-chapter Fitchburg Young Eagles rally. Lots of pilots and ground crew participated and 108 kids were flown.

Nominations for officers were taken. For treasurer: Mike Doyle and Jon Engvall. For vice president: Mark Saklad and Fred Moses.

A suggestion was made to put meeting announcements on the 6B6 bulletin board.

A general discussion of the chapters future plans, promotions, speakers, etc. was held.

The meeting was closed at 7:47 p.m.


May 30, 2003

The meeting was opened at 7:11 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 9 members and 3 guests present.

Young Eagles: 22 were flown in April. Groton Rec has requested a special rally for Wednesday, August 6. We also have several Boy Scout groups interested in future rallies.

Mike Doyle gave the treasurer's report. Our bank balance is $1693.63 as of today.

Air And Space Day in Tewksbury on June 21 was mentioned. Jim Ellis will be participating in a balloon launch.

Charlie Smith announced that he has purchased a 1976 Grumman Tiger.

Jim Ellis had the cover story in the current Atlantic Flyer.

The meeting was closed at 7:23 p.m.


April 25, 2003

The meeting was opened at 7:14 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 14 present.

Young Eagles: a suggestion was made that we should have rain dates for our rallies. After discussion it was decided we could try setting them for the following Saturday.

Mike Doyle gave the treasurer's report. Our bank balance shows $1572.98 with $100 in dues still to be deposited.

John Roach was suggested as a possible future speaker.

Meigs Field and the Boston Globe editorial were discussed.

The meeting was closed at 7:34 p.m.


March 28, 2003

The meeting was opened at 7:18 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 14 present.

The treasurer's report was given. A reminder about year 2003 dues was given; currently 19 members are paid up. Our balance is $1661.23.

At our March Young Eagles rally we flew four new Young Eagle and two repeats. Our next rally is scheduled for April 12 and we have a Boy Scout troop already signed up.

Mike Doyle mentioned that Marston Mills airport may be closing and suggested a fly out after the next Young Eagles rally.

Speaker suggestions are needed!

Other points of discussion:
Historic engine society; a magazine was passed around.
Rhinebeck Aerodrome fly out?

The meeting was closed at 7:35 p.m.


January 31, 2003

The meeting was opened at 7:15 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 15 present.

The treasurer's report was given. A reminder was given that dues for 2003 are now due. Our balance before the start of the meeting was $1578.

The next Young Eagles rally will be held February 8.

Mark Saklad reported on the Alton Bay airport on Lake Winnipesaukee in New Hampshire. The ice runway is open, but there will not be a fly-in this year.

The EAA Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress will be in the area in August, sponsored by Chapter 106. People interested in rides should sign up early.

The meeting was closed at 7:25 p.m.


October 25, 2002

The meeting was opened at 7:13 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg.

Charlie Smith has announced he is stepping down as Young Eagles coordinator. Hector Constantzos agreed to take the position starting in January.

In the annual elections, President Bill Greenberg and Secretary Nels Anderson were re-elected by acclimation.

The treasurer reported $2251.34 in our account.

A discussion was held on whether Friday is the best night for chapter meetings. No better alternative was revealed.

Another Young Eagles sign has been stolen. A discussion was held on whether it should be replaced.

The end of year party was discussed. Attendees will participate in a Yankee swap and pot luck dinner. BYOB.

The meeting closed at 7:57 p.m.


September 27, 2002

A cookout was held before the business meeting, lasting from 7:15 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. at which point Mike presented the dessert that he made.

Business meeting started at 8:05 p.m.

The treasurer reported a balance of $1750.

Young Eagles: as of 9/27 840,939 have been flown nationwide.

In new business nominations for next year's officers were made as follows:

Bill Greenberg for president
Nels Anderson for secretary
Hector Constantzos for secretary

The next meeting will the called the "Annual Meeting" to comply with state corporate laws.

Hector suggested a chapter trip to Old Reinbeck Aerodrome, but it was decided that it was too late to plan something like that. Maybe next season.

Hector also suggested a fall foliage trip to NH. Due to conflicting schedules, it was decided that two dates would be established and anyone who wants to go would show up. 10/6 and 10/13 show up at 9:30 a.m. to go.

October 12 is the next Stow Young Eagles rally.

October 5 is Young Eagles at New Bedford. Pilots are needed. Anyone interested in helping out, contact Mark Saklad.

Steve will talk about paragliding in an upcoming meeting.

Bill had an interesting IFR question for everyone to try and get an answer to.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 p.m.


August 23, 2002

Opened at 7:10 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 16 present.

The treasurer reported a balance of $1750.

A report on Young Eagles was given.

A work party is needed to paint runway numbers on September 7th at 9:00 a.m.

Myricks is coming up on September 8th. Volunteers were signed up to bring things.

Fitchburg Air Fest is also coming up and volunteers are needed to man the booth September 13-15 and to fly September 21. John Weigel of Chapter 673 is coordinating.

The meeting closed at 8:00 p.m.


May 31, 2002

Opened at 7:13 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 12 present.

An update on airport news and happenings was provided by airport manager Don McPherson.

The secretary's report was accepted.

A special Young Eagles rally will be held at HFD with the "Time For Life" group on June 22, 2002.

The treasurer reported no transactions during the previous month.

A petition about the MAC requirement for photo ID's is available to sign in the airport office.

Bill Greenberg describes the beginning of his first owner assisted annual inspection.

The meeting was closed at 7:45 p.m.


April 26, 2002

Opened at 7:13 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 13 present.

The secretary's report was accepted.

The treasurer's report was read; we currently have $1878.89 in the bank.

Various Young Eagles topics were discussed:

  • National total is now up to 775,671
  • Next rally is May 11, 2002 with 15 Cub Scouts already expected
  • Several schools have been contacted
  • June 22 will be the date for the Time For Life rally to be held at HFD
  • Discussion of having a table at the Hanscom air show was discussed
  • Mark Saklad presented a proposal for a rally at Lawrence

The meeting closed at 7:25 p.m.


March 29, 2002

Opened at 7:24 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 12 members and guests present.

The secretary's report was read.

The treasurer's report was read. We have $2029.21 in the bank and have had 20 new members and renewals since the last report.

Charlie Smith reported that our last Young Eagles rally was written up in the Concord/Acton "Beacon" newspaper and this has generated some reponses from new groups wanting flights. Charlie has also received the "Jaguar Points" from last years flights and we need to identify if there is someone we want to sponsor to an EAA camp session this year who can use them.

Bill Greenberg reported on the possibility of a Young Eagles rally in Hartford with the "Time For Life" group, possibly May 25th.

A reminder was given about Chapter 1314's visit on April 20 when about 20 people will be coming for breakfast at the restaurant and then will be touring the Collins Foundation. Our members are invited to come along.

Bill Greenberg reported on talks with Don McPherson about airport issues. There is the possibility of an airport open house later in the year which we will be asked to help with.

Arrangements have been made for a display at the Natick Library during August and photos and objects are sought for inclusion.

The meeting was closed at 7:40 p.m.


February 22, 2002

Opened at 7:03 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 20 members and guests present.

Since we had a large number of new faces, we had each person introduce themself to the group.

The treasurer's report was read. Fourteen members paid up during the past month. For those who have not, dues are due.

The secretary's report was read.

Charlie Smith reported that the March 9th early season rally is a go, with one group of 9-12 kids committed and the possibility of an additional group. Charlie also reviewed the requirements for pilot participation.

Old business: Jon Engvall reminded us about a memorial tree for Nancy McPherson's mother that we had promised some time back. Nothing has been done yet, but Jon is coordinating the timing to go along with planned airport improvements coming up.

New business: Chapter 1314 is visiting the area on April 20th, to tour the Collings Foundation, and see their collection of aircraft and other antique vehicles. Since some will be flying in they asked if some of our members would like to come along and provide rides from the airport to the museum.

The business meeting was closed at 7:26 p.m.


January 25, 2002

Opened at 7:15 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 9 members and 1 guest present.

The secretary's report was read.

The treasurer's report was read, covering end of year expenses. Members were reminded that year 2002 dues are now due.

Charlie Smith gave a Young Eagles report. We have a group interested in flying in March, ahead of our normal schedule. The full schedule for 2002 was also announced. Charlie encouraged members to start contacting potential groups now. The "Flying Start" program was also discussed.

Recruitment ideas were discussed. Included was talking to Don McPherson about the mailing list of based pilots. The meeting closed at 7:30 p.m.


November 16, 2001

Opened at 7:15 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 9 members present.

The treasurer's report was read; the treasurer reminded everyone that dues for next year are due.

The secretary's report was read.

A report on the November Young Eagles rally was given; 18 kids were given rides.

It was announced that the new lighted windsock at 6B6 has been installed.

A discussion of the upcoming December 7th holiday party was held. It was decided food would be pot luck and a Yankee swap would be held.

Pins and certificates were given to officers completing a year in office.

The meeting closed at 7:30 p.m.


October 26, 2001

Opened at 7:12 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 18 members present.

The secretary's report was read.

The treasurer's report was read: balance after Myricks is $2178.89.

Charlie Smith reported that we are adding a Young Eagles rally on November 10th. He also reported that Tom McGee had counseled a previous Young Eagle on his Boy Scout aviation merit badge.

The holiday party scheduled for December 7th was discussed.

A discussion on runways incursions was held, after the introduction of some new training software.

A discussion on Air Lifeline and volunteer flying was held. Air Lifeline will be providing a speaker for our January meeting.

Mark Saklad gave a report on Ken Brock's gyroplane accident.

Election of officers was held. Elected for a two year term were Mark Saklad as vice president and Mike Doyle as treasurer.

Meeting closed at 7:50 p.m.


September 28, 2001

Opened at 7:10 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 22 members and guests present.

Airport manager Don McPherson gave a state of the airport report:

  • Security codes have been changed
  • Everyone asked to help with security--keep your eyes open
  • A remote comm system for IFR clearances has been proposed
  • Working on getting AWOS--this is a long term project
  • Runway repaving is still delayed

Mike Doyle's treasurer's report: August balance is $1751.64.

Proceeds from Myricks totalled $694.80, less expenses.

Charlie Smith reported that the chapter has flown 802 total Young Eagles through August, of which 84 were during 2001.

Nominations for the upcoming election were held. For treasurer: Mike Doyle, Jon Engvall. For vice president: Mark Saklad.

Meeting adjourned at 7:34 p.m.


August 17, 2001

Opened at 7:10 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with 14 members and guests present.

Airport manager Don McPherson discussed the recent Malibu crash.

Mike Doyle gave a report on preparations for the upcoming Myricks fly-in.

Mike also gave a treasurer's report.


May 25, 2001

Opened at 7:30 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with twelve present.

The secretary's report was read and accepted.

The treasurer's report was read: our bank account is $1694.21 with $182 to be deposited.

A report on the recent Young Eagles rally was given, in which 10 kids were flown.

A report on the windsock revealed that it has now been installed, but still needs wiring work to get the lighting operational.

Jon Engvall discussed the need for a trailer or other space for storage (for tools, books, etc.). The possibility of a tool shed was considered.

New Business

The issue of what paperwork is required for pilots to fly Young Eagles was discussed. We have been requiring that pilots provide copies of all the necessary materials to the Young Eagles coordinator. After discussion it was decided that copying is not required, but the Young Eagles coordinator must be shown all the materials to confirm the requirements are met and that this must be done at a time before the rally the pilot wishes to participate in.

A question had arisen as to whether Friday is the best meeting night. After discussion it was decided not to make any changes.

The meeting was closed at 8:05 p.m.


April 27, 2001

Opened at 7:41 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with twenty guests and members present.

The secretary's report was read and accepted.

The treasurer's report was was read: our bank balance is $1714.72 with $162 to be deposited.

A report was made on the new windsock. Welding has been completed, necessary parts have arrived, and it's now ready for installation.

Young Eagles: we are waiting to hear from one remaining air camp candidate who, if interested, will get the credits earned during last year's flights.

Mike Doyle proposed "dawn patrol" flights for the upcoming weekend, with Nantucket being the primary choice.

Next month's speaker was announced: Neville Hogan, who will speak on aerobatics.

The meeting was adjourned at 7:57 p.m. and turned over to speaker Jim Ellis who gave a slide presentation on hot air ballooning.


March 30, 2001

Opened at 7:39 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg with eleven guests and members present.

The secretary's report was read and accepted.

Old Business

Charlie Smith gave a report on the search for a trailer. Several leads had been pursued, but nothing positive had turned up.

Charlie Smith reported that Young Eagles credits for last year had been received, which can be used to help sponsor a young person who wishes to attend one of the EAA's camps at Oshkosh. Two potential candidates have been identified and Charlie will follow up to see if they are interested.

The meeting was closed at 7:55 p.m.


February 23, 2001

Opened at 7:40 p.m. by president Bill Greenberg. Thirteen members and guests were present.

New president Bill Greenberg introduced himself to the group.

The secretary's report was read and accepted.

Old Business

A newsletter editor is still needed.

Action on the memorial tree approved at the last meeting is on hold until spring.

A Young Eagles group has expressed interest in flying in March, ahead of our normal rally schedule.

Treasurer's report: on our last bank statement our balance was $1713.41.

Jon Engvall gave a report on the progress of installing the new wind sock.

Meeting adjourned at 8:14 p.m. and turned over to guest speaker John Weigel who described his cross country flight in a non-electric Champ.


January 26, 2001

Opened at 8:00 p.m. by vice president Mark Saklad. Thirteen members and one guest were in attendance.

A special election to fill the office of president was held. Bill Greenberg was unanimously elected to the office.

Treasurer's report: on our last bank statement, dated 1/10/2001, our balance was $1448.87.

New Business

A discussion about doing a chapter fly-in to Alton Bay on February 10th was held.

Young Eagles: Charlie Smith gave a report:

  • Several groups are already interested in flights this coming year.
  • Regular events will be held May through October on the 2nd Saturday.

Jon Engvall proposed a memorial tree in memory of Nancy McPherson's mother. Voted and approved a maximum of $100; Jon will coordinate.

Meeting adjourned at 8:29 p.m.

[ Main Page | Meetings | Airport Tour | Events | Young Eagles | News | Contact Us | Links ]